A.L.S. Security Solutions Brings You a Critical Story, Just off the Press: On Jan. 28, 2016, a family began to feel extremely ill in their condominium home. They all began to have headaches, dizziness, a strange overwhelming weakness and upset stomachs. It was not the flu–it was Carbon Monoxide!
Quick Thinkers Defeat Killer Gas in Orlando Condo!
They drove to a local hospital where they were diagnosed as victims of the silent killer, carbon monoxide. Certainly they were lucky to be alive. Firefighters went to the Orlando condominium complex only to discover two more sick people who were transported to the hospital. However, they could not find a gas line leak.
After an extensive search, they found that a construction crew had left a generator turned on in an unoccupied condo that was being remodeled. Consequently it was releasing deadly carbon monoxide fumes. That was all it took for levels of the deadly gas to multiply “to between 300 and 400 parts per million – more than four times the level where most people start experiencing poisoning symptoms.”
In addition, residents were evacuated from their homes for 12 hours. Most importantly they recovered and survived — this time. Be sure you know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. It could save your life!
This killer gas is odorless, colorless and kills 400 people per year. Without carbon monoxide detectors, you are taking quite a risk. Detection is your only protection! The solution to this threat is a simple, inexpensive addition to your security alarm system. Carbon monoxide detectors powered by alarm.com keep you safe. They will detect carbon monoxide from any source.
CO Protection in Three Steps
Your protection installed by A.L.S. Security Solutions helps you and your family defeat the invisible CO killer three ways!
1. Alert! Don’t worry, your home’s alarm will sound and a Smartphone alert will warn you of the carbon monoxide danger.
2. Quick Response! “A security professional will assess the situation immediately and dispatch emergency services if needed. Whether you’re home or away, help will be at hand.”
3. Emergency Measure! With your alarm.com system, “In a fire or CO event, your alarm.com Smart Thermostat shuts down immediately, preventing smoke or gases spreading through your HVAC system. Your smart lighting also turns on to show you the way outside.”
What YOU Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide:
As we stated earlier, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas.
Beware! Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce CO.
Make 2016 the year you protect your home with a simple phone call to obtain our professional installation of your CO alarm.
Steps To Take After Your System Warns You of Carbon Monoxide
We checked the Consumer Product Safety Commission to verify how you should proceed after your system informs you of the presence of carbon monoxide.
1. Pay Attention: In the first place, never ignore a CO alarm! Remember, CO is deadly.
2. Step Away from the Danger: Immediately go outside and breathe fresh air deeply.
3. Do Not Explore: If the carbon monoxide alarm notifies you, do not waste time trying to discover the source of the CO. This is a job for professionals. Instead of searching, follow rule number 2, above.
4. Make a Call: If you do not have a system, but only an alarm, you will have to call your emergency services, fire department, or 911.
5. Do a Head Count: Make sure all of your family and residents of your house (including pets) have gotten out of your home. Resist the temptation to go back into the home until emergency services give you express permission.
6. Avoid the Appliance: If the source of the CO is a malfunctioning appliance, please do not turn that appliance on until it has been properly serviced by trained personnel.
Thank you for reading our A.L.S. Security Solutions blog and remember, we are making Orlando safer for families, one home at a time!